Thursday, July 21, 2011

Livin' in da ghetto...

How does a town of 8000 people have a ghetto?  I don't know, but I live in it!  This seems to be the theme of my life. I think its because I grew up in trailers.  It doesn't matter where I move to or who I meet, the first place I move into will be in the sketchiest part of town.  This happened when I moved to Fairbanks, moved right into South Cushman right inbetween a crack house and a whore house (or should I say 24 hour massage parlor).  Initially I wrote that off as being young and stupid (at 18 living with 8 of your friends and your boyfriend in a 4 bedroom house sounds like great fun---it isn't).  Next when I stayed in Seattle for a summer I got a place in the U-district...I was unaware until about 5 days before I moved back to Alaska that this was not the place to be.  When I moved back to Fairbanks I forgot about two very important lessons I learned earlier 1)Living with a bunch of people (and your boyfriend) is not a good idea (although it was only 4 people this time in a better neighborhood) and 2)when you get fed up with your living situation don't move back to south cushman.  I finally got it right on try 5 when I rented a dry cabin 7 miles out of town.  There are no crackheads with guns or hobo's looking for a good time that far away.  Just the occasional pissed off moose that doesn't want you to get to work in the morning.
Having finally gotten a living arrangement right, I moved to Ketchikan with the utmost confidence that I would find a nice place in a good neighborhood.  Sadly, it seems I have a few more lessons in correct home selection to deal with.  When I got here, I knew I wanted my own place, so I rented an efficiency apartment on Park Ave (you will see the irony in a minute).  The price was kind of high for such a small place so I figured it would weed out most of the degenerates.  Boy was I wrong.  My neighbors are fuckin' special.  And their friends are even more so.  About once a week I have some dude who knocks on my door at about 3am looking for some guy named Needles.  A few nights ago, I was walking to my house from my car after dark and some lady stopped me and said "Watch out some kid on a bike is looking for sex...he might attack you.  Oh my name is Josie by the way how are you doing?" 
Please get me out of the ghetto and toss me back in the trailer park.  The only thing to worry about there is someone blowing up their meth lab.

No comments:

Post a Comment